Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Week Two......GO!

It's me again, here to give another update....

Monday, the start of a new research week. Today was really interesting. I actually got up on time today lol. I made it to my first tutorial, at 10, which was on manipulating WRF data on the Midnight cluster here at ARSC. WRF is the Weather Research and Forecasting model. This sytem allow one to predict the weather using a visualization tool and weather data. After the tutorial, I found some toolboxes for the Matlab software that may make my project a little easier. They are different toolboxes for the netCDF file extension, and a Google Earth toolbox. I also started doing research on how 3D visualization is achieved in Google Earth, but that didnt get too far. At lunch time I went to the Westridge Cafe and got pasta alfredo and garlic bread for lunch. Then I came back to the office, ate and started looking at the toolboxes, since the internet was down. Then we had a mini tutorial on basic tasks and navigation in the *nix command line, which was cool. I went back to my desk after the tutorial, where I met up with Dr. Newby. We further discussed the project, and he suggested some topics I should look up, and a few ARSC employees that I should meet within the next few days. I found some more sites to read, saved then to my main jump drive, and then I went to the dorms to take a nap, because I wasnt feeling well at the time. After my nap, a few of the interns got together to watch a few movies. The first movie was an anime called Grave of the Fireflies. This anime was really sad and depressing, but it was a good movie. Afther that, we decide to watch Kylie's Dane Cook DVD to lighten the mood lol. After the "movie night", I went back to my room, played a little DDR, a little Guitar Hero, and then my roommate Nathan, another intern, Stephanie, and I started watching an anime series called Elfen Lied. This is one of my personal favorites ^_^ We watched about two episodes before it got late. So I decided to type in my blog before I went to sleep. Well, until we meet again.....


BCB

No comments: